Friday 13 January 2017

November 1, 2012

Dear Friends:

Our daylight hours are becoming shorter.  Socks are now part of my daily apparel. And (no) thanks to Hurricane Sandy, the stunning colourful leaves from the trees have fallen.   It must be Cheshvan!! “…and it has a unique standing in the Jewish calendar.  It’s the only month in the Jewish year that doesn’t contain a day of significance.  Whether it’s a holiday or a fast day, we consider these days to be significant in that they prompt us toward celebration or introspection.  To have an entire month without any of these prompts certainly makes that month stand out.”  Rachael Turkienicz

Ah, but to me, Cheshvan does have a day or two of significance and prompting.

First, 17 Cheshvan (actually today) is the day that my mother passed eleven years ago.  It is always a day of introspection and it inspires me to be a better person.  With my mother, Ruth, in mind, I suppose that I imitate a behaviour that she had down to perfection – to put people at ease, feed them.

Secondly, the first day of Out of the Cold usually corresponds to a day in Cheshvan.  What could be more significant than that to thousands of needy and homeless people in Hamilton???  In the church parking lot today, I had a lovely visit with our guest Ralph.  I could hear the grumbling in his stomach as he told me that he and everyone else await our food and smiles!!
So, Cheshvan is our month of choice and opportunity.  We choose our focus and commit ourselves to seizing opportunities for change.

Looking forward to seeing you next Tuesday, Nov. 6 for another meaningful, powerful, bonding, community-building season of Out of the Cold.

Shabbat Shalom,

Cindy


Responses:

Cindy, you really do inspire me............thank you!  See you on Tuesday.
Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment