Friday 13 January 2017

December 23, 2009

Being Jewish just before Christmas doesn’t have to mean that you are sitting around thinking about how you’re going to lose the latke pounds.  I’m exhausted! Why? Well, you have all helped to make the holidays brighter and more holy than you can imagine and kept me shopping and shlepping too.
Recently, a dinner guest asked for a bed and today he and a friend with a roof rack received one from one of you who received my request. As it was being loaded, with strong emotions, he said that the used bed was probably going to be his only Christmas present, but the most needed and appreciated! He also said that, even though his life has been a mess recently, he knows that he is one of the lucky ones; many are worse off than he.

Another case in point:  Our guests, Grandmother Jean and two young grandsons have lived in three different places in the last two weeks. Let’s admit that they are homeless. I picked them up in Scarborough on Monday and brought them back to Hamilton to stay temporarily over the holidays with one of Jean’s friends. G-d bless the people that have reached out to them. In no time, they were set up with mattresses, blankets, food, towels, toiletries, children’s books and games… all donated by many of you.  Today, I delivered wrapped presents for the boys. Snow boots, snow pants, games, crafts, pajamas, sweets and grocery store gift cards for Jean.  She also said with just a trace of optimism, that sometimes life has to get worse before it can get better.

In his recent submission to the Canadian Jewish News, Rabbi Baskin  writes, “ If you take your tragedy, no matter how grave it is, and hold it up in perspective to all that is happening in the world, it becomes small and you can bear it.” Later he refers to a theory from Karen Armstrong, author of The Case for God.  “She commends those who live generously, large-heartedly and justly, and inhabit every single part of their humanity.  They honour the ineffable mystery they sense in each human being and create societies that protect and welcome the stranger, the alien, the poor and the oppressed. ..They find that the disciplines of religion help them to do all this.”

Our entire group of OOTC’ers celebrate the holidays in so many different and wonderful ways, but regardless of one’s specific faith, we are similar in our humanity. Thanks for reaching out.
Have a wonderful holiday knowing that every week you are creating a sacred community and giving hope to others.

Cindy


Responses:

Cindy you are amazing and it is an honour and a privilege to know you and to work with you and to call you my friend PLease tell Lila that I will be able to come next Tuesday { I was not definite but it has worked out that I can come }Have a good week, Love Jeanette

Cindy, I do hope that you are writing a novel in your SPARE (;)) time as you do write so beautifully and from the heart.   You should know that this particular one made me cry.    There are so many needy people out in the world and embarrassingly so so many in our own backyard.   How old are Jean’s grandsons and what size clothing would they fit into?Please advise as to what the one unidentified guest requires other than a bed to set up his home.We are back late afternoon on December 31st, 2009.  I wish you and your family ALL the best that life can offer, my dear, and a healthy, happy and prosperous new year. Love,Joanne.

P.S.:  Your parents raised a true woman of inspiration.  You honor your parents well, my dear.

Dear Cindy, As always, I appreciate your newsletter which informs and reminds us how fortunate we are to be able to help others.  I have always been thankful to be on the "serving side" of Out of the Cold, and always leave a "shift" with a stronger spirit.  Despite my present difficulties, I am very aware that things could be worse, and that I am blessed to have healthy, strong children and so many friends and experiences to keep me aware of my good fortune.Thank you for your inspiring presence in my life, your good work and comfort for others.  Have a happy and healthy holiday season.See You Tuesday, Norma

No comments:

Post a Comment