Friday 13 January 2017

February 24, 2010

Hello friends!

For the last two Tuesdays, I’ve been missing something, a piece of my OOTC apparel…. my name tag!  The rest of my uniform is usually blue jeans and a long sleeved black top with my lariat of keys and stylish sequined cell phone holder around my neck, but, of all that chazarei (Yiddish-worthless stuff, junk), the one most meaningful thing with which I adorn myself weekly, is my name tag. For me, when I pin it on, there is just a momentary reminder of a holy commitment I’ve made, a reminder of my responsiblilities, it’s weightiness but not it’s weight.  Don’t laugh at me! I’m not going crazy. I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok. They know me here. Besides, I’ve noticed how some of you have your own “special” OOTC clothes or dishgloves, or aprons, etc.  How do you feel about them and how do they make you feel when you put them on?

The Torah portion this week, T’tzaveh, speaks of G-d’s instructions to Moses to have made sacral vestments for honour and for beauty which would be worn by the High Priests. Those who made the clothes understood that more was going on than just creating an external physical appearance. They would symbolize inner vestments, noble qualities which are the vestments of the soul. These holy garments were to be an improvement of their souls and their characters so that their inner selves would be clothed in majesty and splendour.. Nehama Leibowitz   They would be a reminder to those who would wear them, of all the commandments and to be holy to G-d.  (For example, the breastplate, with the names of the twelve tribes, would remind the priest that he serves for the people.)

To me, my name tag, as insignificant as it may seem, is a reminder to be holy through justice and compassion, a mental elevation, a paying attention to the way I conduct my life. It is reminder of the wonderful group with whom I identify and the delicate balance between belonging and individual uniqueness. “To wear clothes with dignity, therefore, is not about self aggrandizement, but service, it is about humility, a sense of place, and a reminder of purpose.”  Rabbi Irwin Zeplowitz
So, by next week, I’ll make myself a new name tag …maybe with a little glitz….. and I will be complete again in my commitment on the job!

Now let me report on last night’s dinner and this morning’s breakfast. Delicious vegetable barley soup, guests’ favourite meatloaf, a new dish: couscous was a hit-hit (Lila’s brilliant literary contribution.) It was combined with grilled eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes from Adas Israel Synagogue as was the potato kugel, corn and peas, salad, apples. Amazing!  One hundred-sixteen dined and nineteen slept over. Welcome to Tzvia who has joined our morning cooking crew. Born and raised in Israel, then to the States, then to Canada, Tzvia has a wide range of cooking specialties and comes to us at a bargain price, like all of you!  This morning at breakfast, Sharon and daughters Melissa and Ashlee prepared a wonderful breakfast.  One guest, Don, made a plea to them with his best puppy dog eyes, “Hey, I’m up for adoption.”  Hope they took that as a compliment; he really meant it!

Have a perfect week everyone.

Cindy

Responses:

Many thanks Cindy.  Trust that God's richest blessings favour and wisdom continue to surround you and be manifest in God's loved ones whom you serve.  WEAR  YOUR  NAME  TAG  WITH  PRIDE &SERVICE TO ALMIGHTY  GOD. Love, Sybil & George

hi cindy, ienjoyed it so much, its great to feel useful, alot of times ive been housebound and its great to get out into a relaxing enviroment.  last night i made your meatloaf and mashed potatoes for howz and leeav and they just loved it. today i saw ronna and she said your guests really loved it. yay!  tz

No comments:

Post a Comment