Thursday 12 January 2017

December 10, 2008

My Dear Friends:

There is sad news.  Gloria Silverman passed away this morning.

Gloria gave birth nine years ago, single-handedly, to Tuesday Hamilton Out of the Cold and righteously involved the Jewish community and many individuals and groups beyond. Up until last fall, she still sat with our Board of Directors. Before OOTC, Gloria, the rebbetzin of Rabbi Israel Silverman z'l, organized the breakfast program at Hess Street School.  In the Jewish tradition, the Teaching, "Do not stand idly by" is not a suggestion - it is an operative principle.  Wherever there is suffering, it is the Jewish ethic to pursue justice passionately. And, where Gloria was involved there was leadership, opinion, wisdom, friendship and passion.

How fortunate am I to be able to say that I've known Gloria since I was a little girl. Whenever I would be hugged by Gloria, it felt like I was being hugged by my late mother; they were similarly endowed and always warm. Laugh with me now, 'cause I'm gonna make you cry later.

Last Friday, just before Shabbat, I visited Gloria in the hospital.  With me, was a get well card signed by many of you, a plaque commemorating her many years of service from OOTC, and a copy of the e-mails which you have received since November. As we visited, we shared news, and as I often did, I asked her advice and guidance on certain matters of OOTC. Her responses were as direct and wise and profound as always. At the end of our visit, I told Gloria something that I had told her many times before.      Her decision to involve me in OOTC has enriched my life. Even if you did not know Gloria, she enriches your life too. May G-d's Presence rest on the work of our hands, and may our hands be strong for those who need us.

May the Omnipresent comfort those who mourn along with all mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

The funeral is scheduled for 1:00 pm tomorrow, December 11th, at the Adas Israel Synagogue.  Interment following at Beth Jacob Cemetery.


Responses:

Cindy, Thank you for taking the time to send out this sad news, especially as you have your own sorrow to cope with, in the loss of your dear friend.  Gloria was a wonderful person and I certainly feel enriched for knowing her, receiving a smile from her or a warm hug. You have greatly honoured Gloria's memory in your dedication to Out of the Cold.  She must have been very proud of you and satisfied that her initiative was in caring hands. May her memory be a blessing and inspiration to all who knew her.

In sympathy,
Norma


Thank you for sending the inspirational message about Gloria.  She  was certainly a woman of honour and you are a worthy follower of  hers  You do us all honour with your huge heart and your feeling for  all the poor souls whom you touch every Tues.  and Wed. and all  through your life.  Thanks for helping us all to make our little bit  more meaningful. Do you think that our little band of "cookers" and servers could  make a donation in her honour?  We can talk on Mon.  or Tues.

Yours admiringly.  Miriam


You're absolutely right Cindy, she was a great lady and will always be remembered in my heart.  She was the one who encouraged me also to join the out of the cold program which opened my eyes to another world.   A world which out of the cold made a vital contribution.

Barbara


Dear Cindy, I can't take much more of your news!! What a loss for the community! Gloria
was a wonderful woman and a great mentor for so many! She will be sorely missed. Irwin and I are so sorry to hear of her loss!! Please give the Goldberg family an additional hug from us.We will try to call them soon as well. Take care! (and stay away from bad news!)

Love and hugs!
Anne and Irwin


Hello Cindy: I have just got back from out of town and, though I never met Mrs. Silverman, your description was a fine tribute. She taught (and you learned) well. Thank you for your e-mail. I think I would have liked, respected and admired her and her ability to see a need , marshall support and thereby address that need. She chose well and you (and we) will carry on remembering her vision. Until Tuesday.
Susan Malcolm.


No comments:

Post a Comment