Thursday 12 January 2017

January 9, 2008

Hello Out of the Colders:

As expected, our guests arrived slowly and quietly last night, oh, and did I mention, hungry?  Only a half of a pot of soup leftover and one and half shepherd's pie for the freezer too. We finished in OOTC record time last night, about 6:20 pm instead of at 7:00 pm.  I don't know how, but we’re sure going to try to do it again.  Actually the entire day was glorious.  It was Elvis' birthday and also our guests, Walter and Fran. There were warm temperatures, we finished morning cooking early (so we could visit and linger over lunch longer), Fred, Gail and I even sat down for more than half an hour in the afternoon.  Oh, I get it now! As a group, our volunteers have found our rhythm!  Eureka! Rock ON!

George, our homeless guest who spent the entire day organizing his belongings in the alley of the church, finally came in at 6:00 pm for dinner.  Some of you will remember that he helped me unload my car into the church yesterday morning.  Sister would have my neck if she knew, but George begged to help.  Such a small concession, meant sooooo much to him. At various times, I'd pop out there to give him food, and other things and chat briefly.  And then, this morning in the rain, George and I were side by side loading my car and his grocery buggy to end and begin another day.  I wondered to myself if he felt the same way I was feeling.  What twist of fate on Jan 8/9, 2008, brought us both together yet so far apart?

Have a nice week,

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment